Sawyer will not boot

Koon

• 6 months later...

The error you are seeing is a secure Boot error, I have had this happen in linux before i would recommend is burning a external copy of linux on to a flash drive, then changing the boot order to your flash drive, then go into your bios and turn off secure boot. Then shutting down the computer and unplugging your flashdrive. I would recommend turning back on secure boot if you are worried about security. If you can't get into the bios then pull the cmos battery out for 10 minutes, (might not be a bad idea to replace the cmos battery as well since its a used robot)

From Bradley (mechanical engineering student)

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2022 at 2:17 AM, chaim said:

I'm having the same issue with my sawyer 

what did you do to fix it in the end?

I had a similar issue to this on my robot. My solution ended up being replacing the SSD along with a fresh install of Intera on the SSD

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

I think i have the same problem. The robot won't boot, and if i want to make a factory reset it states:
"... failed to read key data"
Is it possible to get an new image or SSD, and if yes, how do i install Intera on the SSD.

It would be nice to get some help.

Kind regards

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Fontys-ICT(Eindhoven) [How-To] Fixing NOT BOOTING / FAILED TO READ KEY DATA issues with the Sawyer robot

I encountered the same issue, and after extensive research, we were able to resolve it.

I won't bore you with all the things we looked into, such as encrypted file systems, but I will provide you with the solution directly.

Underlying cause: The CMOS battery is dead, causing the BIOS to lose its real-time clock and other settings. Solution: Replace the CMOS battery, set the BIOS clock, restart a few times, and use the Shift-R and Shift-F keys to access the menu where you can restore the factory image.

Make sure you have a mouse and USB keyboard handy. An additional screen with HDMI may also be useful, as there are two HDMI outputs on the PC, and not all information is displayed on the small screen. (That's how I remember it, but I could be mistaken.)

Label all cables correctly, as there are several UTP cables, with multiple network interfaces, and they need to be placed back in the exact same position.

The CMOS battery is located in the DELL PC, which you'll need to remove entirely. I even had to cut a wire that came through a ventilation grille.

There are also two jumpers on the mainboard for secure boot/disable and another one for Clear/CMOS (unfortunately, I didn't take a photo).

We did not have to enter the password in the "setup unlock", I also have no idea what the password is, or how to find it.

I hope this helps anyone experiencing similar issues with their Sawyer robot!

Greetings from Eindhoven, Edwin van den Oetelaar and Kris.

sawyer_no_boot5.jpg

sawyer_no_boot4.jpg

sawyer_no_boot_3.jpg

sawyer_no_boot_setup_unlock.jpg

Sawyer_no_boot1.jpg

sawyer_second_succes.jpg

sawyer_first_success.jpg

Edited by Edwin OETELX

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/30/2023 at 5:31 AM, Alex Sweeney said:

@Edwin OETELX How did you get past the "Failed to read key data"??
This is where we keep getting stuck on

You need to take the box apart, replace CMOS battery, reboot, set date/time and find the jumpers that allow for booting insecure. Then reinstall factory image, read original message carefully. Good luck with your project.

I can try to help you, but buildings are closed for holidays, contact me in about 4 weeks on email : edwin@oetelaar.com, I can take some pictures if needed.

Also a question to @Rethink Support Is there a manual on how to do this the proper way?

Edwin van den Oetelaar 

On 7/22/2023 at 3:27 AM, Edwin OETELX said:

You need to take the box apart, replace CMOS battery, reboot, set date/time and find the jumpers that allow for booting insecure. Then reinstall factory image, read original message carefully. Good luck with your project.

I can try to help you, but buildings are closed for holidays, contact me in about 4 weeks on email : edwin@oetelaar.com, I can take some pictures if needed.

Also a question to @Rethink Support Is there a manual on how to do this the proper way?

Edwin van den Oetelaar 

I see what you mean now. I'm not sure I need to put it in service mode to do that.

For anyone else:
Looks like you would just need the master BIOS password to get into setup.
Set date and time and then make sure TPM is enabled, and enable custom mode for secure boot, and reset the keys.

BIOS Master Password Generator for Laptops (bios-pw.org)
Enter this for your password and hit CTRL+ENTER to get into BIOS.

Then try to reset Intera or use the recovery USB

• 2 months later...

HI

i have the same issue with the Robot ...im stuck on the "failed to read key data" screen

im following all the steps but its not working for me

If i want a recovery USB, where i can dowload all files needed ???

• 6 months later...