Installing an external Laser safety scanner

Martin

Hi all,

I am trying to install a Keyence SZ-V32 Laserscanner to set a safety parameter around my Saywer robot.

As far as I know the internal Banner safety controller does support the function of external OSSD sources. (see attached picture "safety controller").

My laser scanner would function as a active PNP device with a 2-wire safety input and 24V + -. 
It tells me in the wiring diagram, that I should just connect my OSSD A & B to IN15 & IN16.

Will i need to go into the Banner safety controller to program it or is this is plug&play ?
What will happen if enter the safety zone? Will the robot stop or will it be powerless (same when i press the emergency stop button)?

Has anyone got any experience with this ?

Thanks for your help.

Martin

Safety Controller.jpeg

Schaltplan Sawyer.jpeg

Hi Martin,

Correct, IN15 and IN16 are the inputs you should connect the scanner to.  If there is already a jumper between 24V and these inputs, you will not have to reprogram it.  If there is not, please email support@rethinkrobotics.com and we will give you a new configuration file to load on the Banner that will activate them.

When the scanner is activated, the robot will go into the emergency stop state, just like pressing the e-stop button.  Therefore, if you cannot get close enough to the robot to re-enable, and restart the task, you will want to wire switches or push buttons to IN11, IN12, and IN13 (continue, restart, enable).

Jake

Hi Jake,

thanks for the quick response.

How will I know if there is a jumper or not ? 

Are the switches then connected to IN11 (or 12/13) and 0V or 24V? Or am I getting this wrong?

Martin

Hi Martin,

The jumpers I am referring to are physical wires that connect IN15 and !N16 to the 24V terminal located above the Banner.  If those wires are there, then it is already configured, if not it is not.

To continue, restart, or enable, the IN11, 12, or 13 need to see a transition from 0V to 24V.  So, yes, you would put the switch between the input and 24V.  Sorry, I wasn't very thorough in that explanation.  You can use the 24V terminal located just above the Banner.  Just make sure to unplug the robot from power before doing any wiring because the 24V is still hot even if the robot is powered down, but still plugged in.  

Hi again

So I put 24V + the OSSD-signal from the scanner into IN15 and IN16? Am I getting this right?

How long does the button need to be pressed in order to restart, continue or enable the robot (IN11,12,13)?

attached a picture from my banner module.. As it seems, the jumpers are not there.

thanks

WhatsApp Image 2018-08-23 at 18.11.02.jpeg

Hi Martin,

I forwarded this along to the support team who can help you with the new config file for the Banner.  If you attempted to put 24V to those inputs now, I suspect it would go into a safety stop because it detects a voltage when it doesn't expect it.

The signal needs to be high for more than 50ms.  That is the default debounce time for inputs per the Banner specs (http://info.bannerengineering.com/cs/groups/public/documents/literature/174868.pdf)

Hi Jake, 

thanks for forwarding this.

My boss asked me to install a signal lamp to the robot. It should flag a green light whenever the robot is running and a red light when the robot stopped.

Is this easily done with the banner safety controller or would this require more work?

thanks again. You are my hero

Best Regards

Martin

Archived