Sawyer Electric Gripper working in Intera but not in SDK mode

mjpark

Might be related to this

http://rethinkrobotics.interaforum.com/topic/487-gripper-cant-be-initialized-example-code-error-reported/

but have not been able to resolve this.

I can ping and connect to the robot via my workstation.  I can enable the robot and have moved it with the keyboard example.  However, it complains about the electric gripper:

[intera - http://10.10.10.10:11311] mjpark@mjpark-HP-Z440-Workstation ~/ros_ws/src/intera_sdk/intera_interface/src/intera_interface(release-5.1.0)$ rosrun intera_examples gripper_keyboard.py
Initializing node... 
Getting robot state...
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/mjpark/ros_ws/src/intera_sdk/intera_examples/scripts/gripper_keyboard.py", line 127, in <module>
    main()
  File "/home/mjpark/ros_ws/src/intera_sdk/intera_examples/scripts/gripper_keyboard.py", line 123, in main
    map_keyboard(args.limb)
  File "/home/mjpark/ros_ws/src/intera_sdk/intera_examples/scripts/gripper_keyboard.py", line 34, in map_keyboard
    gripper = intera_interface.Gripper(limb)
  File "/home/mjpark/ros_ws/src/intera_sdk/intera_interface/src/intera_interface/gripper.py", line 47, in __init__
    timeout_msg=("Failed to get gripper. No gripper attached on the robot.")
  File "/home/mjpark/ros_ws/src/intera_sdk/intera_interface/src/intera_dataflow/wait_for.py", line 42, in wait_for
    raise OSError(errno.ETIMEDOUT, timeout_msg)
OSError: [Errno 110] Failed to get gripper. No gripper attached on the robot.
[intera - http://10.10.10.10:11311] mjpark@mjpark-HP-Z440-Workstation ~/ros_ws/src/intera_sdk/intera_interface/src/intera_interface(release-5.1.0)$ rosrun intera_examples gripper_joystick.py -j logitech
Initializing node... 
Getting robot state... 
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/mjpark/ros_ws/src/intera_sdk/intera_examples/scripts/gripper_joystick.py", line 177, in <module>
    main()
  File "/home/mjpark/ros_ws/src/intera_sdk/intera_examples/scripts/gripper_joystick.py", line 173, in main
    map_joystick(joystick, args.limb)
  File "/home/mjpark/ros_ws/src/intera_sdk/intera_examples/scripts/gripper_joystick.py", line 38, in map_joystick
    gripper = intera_interface.Gripper(limb)
  File "/home/mjpark/ros_ws/src/intera_sdk/intera_interface/src/intera_interface/gripper.py", line 47, in __init__
    timeout_msg=("Failed to get gripper. No gripper attached on the robot.")
  File "/home/mjpark/ros_ws/src/intera_sdk/intera_interface/src/intera_dataflow/wait_for.py", line 42, in wait_for
    raise OSError(errno.ETIMEDOUT, timeout_msg)
OSError: [Errno 110] Failed to get gripper. No gripper attached on the robot.

I am running on the 5.1 Intera branch to match the (latest) running version on the Sawyer.  I know that the grippers physically work because when I boot in to regular Intera mode, after Initialization, it asks to calibrate the grippers and I see them actuate during calibration.  I have also done a simple pick and place with the Intera UI.  However, in SDK it throws the above errors.

Any ideas on how to resolve this?

• 4 years later...

Hello Jan

I can't find anywhere on the site how to calibrate the gripper (PSG) on sdk("Could not detect an electric gripper attached to the robot.")
When entering through the intra system, everything works properly, the gripper is configured, opens/closes everything well.

I understand that this is essential to running a program like
rosrun intera_examples gripper_keyboard.py
And I understand according to the following instruction that you must first perform a calibration
IMPORTANT: You will have to calibrate gripper before using any of the other commands using C/c commands:
Once calibrated, future calibrate commands will not do anything unless you send a 'reboot' first.
But where can I find an explanation of how to do this, can you send a link?
Best regards,

Amir